The Airship Years 1925 - 1930
The Royal Airship Works Sports & Social Club was without doubt a major contributor to village life in Shortstown. Official records begin in October 1925 but there is evidence that the club existed well before this however in this year it appears to have been relaunched on a more professional footing. The narrative in the clubs financial statement in March 1926 refers to the old club breaking even by a few shillings per week and contrasts this with the healthier financial position the club now finds itself in with the introduction of a bar. At this time membership numbers were reported to be 200 of which 30 were women and it was hoped that numbers would increase by encouraging friends of members to join and thereby increase profits. There are hopes to extend the premises to reflect the rise in membership and prosperity and the club now has its own Steward.
In the years immediately following the club continued to grow on all levels now having separate finance, entertainment, and membership committees. The array of sports was surprisingly varied but typical of the time boasting of tennis, hockey, bowls, rugby, football, golf and cricket. In the finance statements of 1927 each of these sports had its own separate ledger and throw up some interesting snippets – for instance the tennis section lists costs of almost £12 for the ‘fencing in of courts’ and itemises amounts for a grounds man and the hire of a lawnmower . The Golf ledger refers to costs of £6 for ‘cutting fairway’, the Bowls section lists an amount of £2.1s 9d spent on preparation of the green, and other ledgers list costs for ‘preparation ‘ of practice and playing pitches for Cricket and £1.13s 10d spent on cutting the grass for the Hockey pitch. What is not known however is the exact location of these various sites within the village but an early map indicates that the football pitch was behind Central Avenue. The football team went on to play in various leagues in the area as reported in the local press during this time.